While the 404 page signifies error, it doesn’t have to kill the mood. The design of a 404 page is an important piece of the user experience puzzle, but often overlooked in the creation process. To avoid the frustration of a user hitting this roadblock, there are a few key things you can do to promote an engaging and branded experience:
- Identify the issue
- Speak clearly
- Include popular links or a search bar for a way out
- Make contact information visible
- Make it fun!
Here are 10 entertaining 404 pages worth breaking a url for:
1. Barkbox sticks to their dog-centric brand with a little K9 humor.
2. IMDB holds true to movie references by quoting popular error-filled moments in film.
4. Seamless uses utensil-based profanity. And cats with bling. Because, why not?
5. Lego leads you to a miniature-sized dose of mayhem.
6. The Onion doesn’t budge from satire when they hit you with their 404.
7. Hootsuite goes old-school with a nod to the days of faces on milk cartons.
8. Mint continues to serve you as they scour couch cushions for the correct link.
9. The Verge maintains its informative list format with a humorous twist.