Nestled comfortably in the northern Midwest, Minneapolis and St. Paul — or the Twin Cities — are known for their abundant lakes, expansive parks, and snowy winters. The metro area is home to more than a dozen established Fortune 500 companies, as well as a bustling startup community. From its iconic hospitality to diverse career prospects, the Twin Cities is more than flyover country. Twin Cities Startup Week — with its innovative fly-in program — is proof that it’s a great place to grow a startup and your professional network. According to CNBC, it’s also the best city for women entrepreneurs, having nearly 20% of businesses owned by women and a high early startup success rate of over 80%.
Companies and Jobs
- Top industries: healthcare, medical tech, finance, manufacturing, food and agriculture, and more.
- Major employers: UnitedHealth Group, Target Corporation, Best Buy, 3M, US Bank, and General Mills.
- Between 2016 and 2017, there was a 40% increase in startup investments. There’s also an emergence of startup accelerators such as TechStars and gener8tor.
The Twin Cities Tech Community
- The tech community is thriving — organizations like Minnestar make it easy for founders, mentors, volunteers, and employees to connect.
- They also host dynamic tech and startup events such as Twin Cities Startup Week — an annual conference with over 200+ events and 15,000+ attendees — and MinneDemo, a showcase of Minnesota-made tech products.
Stay in the Know
Here are just a handful of resources to help you dive deeper into Twin Cities tech:
- Subscribe to The Beat, tech.mn, TCBmag, or BETA for the latest local tech news and trends.
- Learn how you can support the local tech community at MNTech.
- Check out Twin Cities Startup Grind and Minne Inno for upcoming local events.