About This Workshop
*Working from real life case studies, we will review: *
What is Data Science?
How is it used?
Key tools and processes data scientists use.
How to get started in Data Science.
- Learn what data scientists do and the types of problems they solve.
- Walk through the typical data science workflow and see how the pros identify powerful business predictions.
- Explore key tools and processes data scientists use to analyze, visualize, and model data.
- Apply what you've learned to a data set to produce your own recommendations.
*Chart your own career path. Pick up where this workshop leaves off. Enhance your professional skill set in our Data Science Immersive or Data Science part-time programs. *
- A second monitor is recommended, but not required.
Additionally, students will need to download and install Anaconda (the latest Python Version 3.x): Download link here.
YouTube for installing on Mac: How to install Anaconda on Mac
YouTube for installing on Windows: How to install Anaconda on Windows
Tip: Scroll to your operating system version and click on the install button for Anaconda with the latest version Python 3.x. Note: We'll be using the latest version of Python version 3.x in this workshop.
- For students on Windows, you’ll need Microsoft Windows 8/10 (32- or 64-bit). For those with Macs, you’ll need the Mac OS X 10.8.5 or higher, up to 10.11.4 (El Capitan).
NOTE: A small percentage of participants may not receive emails from us due to some domains blocking our automated emails. If you do not receive sign in instructions within 1 hour of the livestream, please email email@example.com and someone from our team will be sure to respond to you with sign in instructions right away.
About the Instructor
Travis Huang is a data scientist and former investment analyst with expertise in financial forecasting, user acquisition (UA) modeling, and machine learning. Born and raised in sunny Southern California, he spent 3 years as a business analyst at a solar energy firm before becoming the manager of analytics at an energy and commodities-focused private equity fund. In his current role as a Data Scientist at AlgoLIFT, he is responsible for the development and maintenance of the UA portfolio optimization product. He holds a BS in Finance and Entrepreneurship from the USC Marshall School of Business and a MS in Business Analytics at the UCLA Anderson School of Management. In his free time he enjoys aerial photography, fostering dogs, and practicing the violin.
Community Code of Conduct
Your registration for or attendance at any General Assembly offering indicates your agreement to abide by this Community Code of Conduct policy and its terms.