Calgary has been reinvented from the ‘energy capital of Canada’ into an innovative and thriving center of digital transformation. Quickly becoming the largest driver of new solutions within the tech sector, Calgary is embracing opportunities that make a difference.
In a recent report, tech companies in the area have more than doubled in the past three years alone — and despite economic impact due from the pandemic, 14% of those new tech companies launched in 2020. Additionally, 40% of businesses are reporting annual revenues of over $1 million,1 showcasing the power of Calgary’s energetic ideas and transformative solutions.
Calgary is diverse in culture. More than 29% of the population immigrated from elsewhere, representing 240 different ethnic origins.2 The numbers will only go higher thanks to an investment of $18.4 billion in digital transformation — 77,000 tech jobs will be added across Alberta in the next few years. In fact, Calgary is expected to have a tech boom with the number of companies at least doubling by 2030.3
General Assembly is proud to announce our arrival and help cultivate thousands of meaningful connections through thoughtful partnership building and learning opportunities. Join us for expert-led classes, workshops, and inspirational panel discussions each week.
Companies and Jobs
- Top industries: agribusiness, creative industries, energy & environment, financial services, healthcare, and technology.4
- Major employers: University of Calgary, Alberta Health Services, Shaw Communications, Suncor Energy, Inc., and Imperial Oil Limited.5
The Calgary Tech Community
- Alberta has a higher percentage of women tech company founders than the global average (27%), compared with 20% globally.6 Organizations such as The Chic Geek, Making Changes, and SheInnovates, Alberta design programs and provide resources to accelerate the careers of women entrepreneurs and innovators.
- There are local organizations in Calgary founded to support its growing tech community, where you can discover opportunities to network and learn:
- Startup Calgary serves early stage entrepreneurs and strengthens the city’s innovation ecosystem through networking, partnerships, and programming.
- Pixels and Pints connects web developers and digital designers through monthly meet-ups.
- Assembly Coworking Space offers affordable spaces for tech startups and social enterprises. They also host events in their common areas to connect and learn from fellow entrepreneurs.
- Innovate Calgary, a business incubator and member of the UCalgary innovation ecosystem, offers startup support programs.
- Immigrant Techies Alberta organizes regular networking events for highly-skilled immigrants in the tech industry.
- Digital Alberta supports the tech community with new talent and partnership opportunities through a membership network.
Stay in the Know
Here are just a handful of resources to help you dive deeper into Calgary tech:
- Subscribe to Platform Calgary and Venture Calgary for the latest local tech news and trends.
- Check out Startup Calgary and The 51 for your upcoming local events.