Free Intro to Python Class Online | June 13
About This Workshop
Build apps for the web and unlock data-driven insights with code.
Explore the intersection of coding and data with General Assembly. During our Python-focused intro class, you’ll learn all about Python - including how to get started, advantages and disadvantages of Python, essentials of programming in Python, and tools available to build applications in Python.
- Touch on fundamental Python programming techniques and tools.
- Discuss its applications in data analysis and web development — and the types of problems it can solve.
- See where Python programming fits into the data and web workflow.
- Apply your new skills to solve a real-world problem with Python.
What will the remote learning experience be like?
- Ask questions and interact with peers and expert instructors —all in real time. Collaborate via live chatbox and Q&A.
- Complete hands-on coursework in an online classroom designed to keep you engaged and focused.
- Gain accountability and guidance from your instructor and fellow classmates to help you turn skills into career success.
NOTE: A small percentage of participants may not receive emails from us due to some domains blocking our automated emails. If you do not receive sign in instructions within 1 hour of the livestream, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll send sign in instructions right away.
- Learn how to get set up and install Python and libraries.
- Find out how to write your first Python script.
- Figure out what tools to use for your next Python projects.
Chart your own career path.
Pick up where this workshop leaves off. Enhance your professional skill set with Python skills in our 10-week, part-time Python Programming course.
- This class requires a computer and strong internet connection.
- For students on Windows, you’ll need Microsoft Windows 8/10 (32- or 64-bit). For those with Macs, you’ll need the Mac OS X 10.8.5 or higher, up to 10.11.4 (El Capitan).
- The latest version of Python (current version 3.7).
To install Python, complete the following:
- Head to Anaconda.com
- Click the button to download the version for Python 3.7.
- Once downloaded, run the installation prompts.
About the Instructor
Travis Huang is a data scientist and former investment analyst with expertise in financial forecasting, user acquisition (UA) modeling, and machine learning. Born and raised in sunny Southern California, he spent 3 years as a business analyst at a solar energy firm before becoming the manager of analytics at an energy and commodities-focused private equity fund. In his current role as a Data Scientist at AlgoLIFT, he is responsible for the development and maintenance of the UA portfolio optimization product. He holds a BS in Finance and Entrepreneurship from the USC Marshall School of Business and a MS in Business Analytics at the UCLA Anderson School of Management. In his free time he enjoys aerial photography, fostering dogs, and practicing the violin.
Community Code of Conduct
Your registration for or attendance at any General Assembly offering indicates your agreement to abide by this Community Code of Conduct policy and its terms.