Meet Angela Schmidt, Online User Experience Design Mentor
Emotionally Driven Design
Angela Schmidt boasts a robust portfolio of user experience (UX) and product design work for clients including Montblanc, Mercedes-Benz, IWC Schaffhausen, Axe, Spotify, LG, NickJr, FreshDirect, Prudential, and Lincoln. She now passes on the creative wisdom she’s earned as a mentor for General Assembly’s part-time online User Experience Design course. We asked Angela to share a bit of what she’s learned throughout her UX career; here are her responses.
How would you define UX design in two sentences?
What’s an example that embodies the best of what UX design can and should accomplish in real life?
What are the personal qualities that set someone up for success in the field of UX?
- An ability to use quantitative information to inform creative and business solutions, keeping an eye on trends and current technology.
- Deep process thinking (always asking “why?”).
- Sensitivity to the power of language.
- The ability to gather a bunch of information and weed through it to find the important bits (requirement gathering, business opportunities, etc.).
- Willingness to try new methods of research and design to better understand your target audience.
- The capability to receive teammates’ feedback while maintaining contrarian perspectives when warranted.
- An interest in business, marketing, strategy, research, design, and tech.
Why should someone learn user experience design’s essential skills at GA?
Learn User Experience Design at General Assembly
UX Design Immersive
Launch a career building seamless digital experiences through this rigorous full-time program.
UX Design Part-Time
Learn how to leverage user insights, research, wireframes, and more in this part-time UX design course.
UX Design Online
Learn to design digital products and services that delight users and anticipate their needs in this online course.
Complement your UX skills with this eight-week design course, and learn how to effectively communicate visually.
Workshops & Events
Start your UX journey with skill-building, career-boosting evening and weekend events led by industry experts.